How to Make Your Own Rock Candy
- by Steven Davidson
Making Your Own Rock Candy
Rock candy is a sugary treat that everyone loves. Enjoy some time off with the kids and try growing your own rock candy at home.
-Mason Jars or Glass Cups (one for each colour)
-Food Colouring or your favourite Kool aid
-4 Cups of Sugar
-2 Cups of Water
-Food grade skewers (You can use a wooden chopstick as well)
Prepare Your Materials
- Place your clothespins about 1/3 of the way down the skewer so that it can easily rest on the glass
- In a large saucepan bring your 2 cups of water to a boil, add in your sugar one cup at a time and let each cup dissolve.
- Once all the sugar is dissolved remove the saucepan from the heat
- If you are using colours or flavourings you can add them to the sugar mixture now
- Allow the sugar mixture to cool for about 10 minutes
- Pour the cooled, coloured and or flavoured mixture into the mason jar or glass
- Wet your skewer with regular temperature water and roll it in plain sugar crystals
- Place the wet sugared skewer into the jar
- Place the jar with the skewer in it in a cool place away from harsh lights and cover with plastic wrap
- You should see crystals forming within 2-4 hours.