DIY Candy Buttons
- by Steven Davidson
Candy dots are one of our favourite nostalgic candies. Fun, tasty and colourful what is not to love with this candy treat. If you are looking for an amazing and fun activity to do with the kids or just want to try making your own here are some instructions to creating your own DIY candy buttons.
- Parchment Paper
- Bowl/Whisk or Stand Mixer
- Piping Bags (You can use ziplock bags as well)
- Bowls for Each Colour
- 1/4" Graph Paper
- 2 Cups of Confectioners' Sugar (Icing Sugar) Sifted
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Meringue Powder
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons of Warm Water
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Food Colouring in 4 Colours
1. Cut out 12 strips of parchment paper about 2" wide, these will be your candy dot sheets.
2. In a bowl or stand mixer combine the confectioners sugar and meringue powder slowly add the warm water until the consistency is that of icing. If you need additional water, add another tablespoon.
3. Split the icing mixture into 4 different bowls and add food colouring until you have reached the required colouration.
4. Spoon each batch of icing into a piping bag or ziplock and cut a small hole to act as the tip.
5. Place the graph paper under the parchment strip and pipe dots evenly onto the parchment paper.
6. Let the drops dry at room temperature for several hours or until the entire dot appears matte in colour.
- Candies will stay in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 months.